Please or Register to create posts and topics.

changing diamonds ~ the one card gaff

at winter carnival of magic i bought a vintage "TV magic cards"    In it are a few packet tricks and instructions.  amongst those one stood out to me.  a single card called Changing Diamonds.  with two simple movements you can show a 6, 3, 4, and 1 of diamonds!  I didn't think much of it untill a friend saw me playing with it and was flabbergast.  i wanted another card so i wouldn't wear out this vintage one.  while the method is old and well known, a single card sized version such as this isn't one that can be purchased at any dealer right now.

so i devised a way to make 2 stencils and make my own card. people love it soo much i decided to have them printed by makeplayingcards.com

i would like to get advice about different handlings and patter for this trick.

would anyone be interested in seeing how to make the stencils so you can make your own?  maybe Doug will help me give some of my printed ones away here on LSoH.  if anyone here has ever sold packet tricks or gaff cards i would love some advice.

i did just find this card for sale in some obscure children's magic kit from china...   the included picture is from this.

Uploaded files:
  • diamond-card.png
Marty Jacobs has reacted to this post.
Marty Jacobs

I remember those cards. Vanishing Inc's Free Video Download of "How to print on playing cards" by: Alex Robertson

Link Below:

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/card-magic-downloads/how-to-print-on-playing-cards/

Consider printing a QR code for the pips instead of Diamonds (if possible), as a giveaway to "The Spectators!" Could make for a great business card.

Cheers!

Sid Maley and Marty Jacobs have reacted to this post.
Sid MaleyMarty Jacobs

I love this plot and think it'd make a great giveaway

*One of the few tricks I've added to my pro stage repertoire over the last year was Martin Lewis' 1 to 6 Spot Card and if you like this effect, you would probably love something along these lines (or even the cheaper "Surprising Dots")

But yeah, cool thinking

Marty Jacobs

I like this effect as well. I’ve seen it more often using dots, which makes the card look more like a domino or a die (as in the Martin Lewis version Doug performs). It is called various names, such as “Crazy Dots,” “Dizzy Domino,” and “Surprising Dots,” as mentioned by Doug. I’ve also seen it called “What’s Next?”

If you use the version using playing card pips, I like the idea of presenting it as a prediction gone wrong. You’ll need a Himber Wallet and another card with six diamond pips on one side and a contrasting force card, such as the Ten of Clubs, on the other.

Force the Ten of Clubs on a spectator. Then, say you have a prediction in your wallet. Carefully remove the card and hold it so a single diamond pip can be seen. Your participant will tell you they didn’t pick the Ace of Diamonds. Turn the card over to show four pips. They’ll say that they didn’t choose the Four of Diamonds. Then quickly display three and then six pips. All your predictions are wrong (but something magical has happened). Rapidly repeat all four changes, finishing on the six.

Next, carefully slide the card into a Himber Wallet, keeping the side with the five pips face up (hiding the blank space on the back with your fingers to maintain the illusion of three pips on the reverse). Once the card is in the wallet, you can cleanly show it because only half the card is visible. The slit of the wallet will hide the gap and they’ll see three pips and the illusion of a six-spot will persist. Open the other side of the Himber Wallet to switch the gaffed card for the one with six diamond spots on one side and ten club spots on the other. Remove the card and say, “Are you sure you didn’t pick the Six of Diamonds? Which Diamond did you pick?” You should get a laugh when they inform you that their card is a Club! Finally, perform Vernon’s Through the Fist Flourish to transform one side of the card to match the selection.

I prefer this approach because it leaves them with an odd souvenir but doesn’t reveal the secret of the changing spots. I think it is too good a secret to give away.

Yours Magically,

Marty

P.S. You could perform this without the Himber Wallet and use a simple pocket switch instead. Keep the two cards in your inside jacket pocket. Remove the gaff, perform the changes. Look crestfallen when all four predictions are wrong and go to replace the card in your poacket. Secretly switch it for the six/ten card and say, “Are you sure you didn’t pick the Six of Diamonds? Which Diamond did you pick?” You can then perform any colour change that secretly turns the card over, such as the aformentioned Venon move, or the ever popular Twirl Change or Marc DeSouza's Shapeshifter Change.

Sid Maley has reacted to this post.
Sid Maley

thanks Marty.  this is just the sort of ideas i was looking for.  message me your address and ill send you a few of my card when they come in.

Marty Jacobs

I've received the cards!   i had them printed on bridge size for some reason and regret it.  poker size would have fit into a deck better, and into the card protectors i have.  otherwise i am very happy with them.  I've even figured out a simple silly routine.  I'll talk about it in another reply.

if anyone comes across this post and would like me to mail them one of these cards that would be great.  heck, if you were willing to send me a dollar to cover the card and shipping that would be wonderful.  I'm just gonna mail them in a paper envelope, but those stamps cost more than they used to.

Just send me a message on here.  i look forward to sharing this great little trick with anyone who happens to stumble upon my little message here.

Marty Jacobs

There's lots of ways to learn!
 Check Out Our Classroom!

>