Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Favorite Cup and Ball Routine?

I'm partial to routines with two cups and would have to say my all time favorite is Tommy Wonder's
When I perform the cups professionally, I use a streamlined version of David Williamson's "Gold Cups" routine (also 2 cups)

During the pandemic I put together some fun ideas with the C&B and site members will find some of those ideas in my Cups and Balls Course
https://learnsleightofhand.com/courses/balls-cups/

But enough about me... what's YOUR fave cup routine?

It's a toss up for me. Paul Gertner. I remember seeing his for the first time on one of the "Worlds Greatest Magic" Specials and being blown away. The other one is Ricky Jay's "The History Lesson." I could listen to that gentlemen speak about anything for hours.

Doug Conn, Nicholas and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
Doug ConnNicholasRonMike Long

Yes! Adding sound to a trick most people want to be quiet adds a whole new layer! Good choices here

Ricky's is def one of the best

Mike Long has reacted to this post.
Mike Long

Favorites to watch? Ricky's History Lesson of course, as well as Yann Frisch's FISM routine. Don't think I would ever attempt to perform either, though I would shamelessly borrow a LOT from both.

As for performance, I have an idea (that may or may not be technically feasible) of finding a handful of passes and sequences that I like and learn well enough that I can arrange them on the fly and it 'works'. Sort of like an improvised jazz form of cups and balls. I think the trick with that would be to craft the sequences such that the starting position and ending position of the sequence allows for multiple options to get in and out of it.

Doug Conn and Mike Long have reacted to this post.
Doug ConnMike Long

Rene Lavand has a pretty good routine. Johnny Ace Palmer has a nice twist that I can't believe I didn't catch the first time I saw it. Penn and Teller say exactly what they're going to do and somehow I still manage to miss sleights. It's awesome that spoken language (or no language in Frisch's case) isn't a barrier.

Mike Long has reacted to this post.
Mike Long

I bought a Chop Cups & Balls Set (only one available at the time) in the 90's to learn M. Ammar's routine. Now I'm using the original Morrissey Magic written lesson. Written by: Chris Mortika, no performance video of routine that I can find. Reportedly derived some moves from Vernon, Colombini and Wilson CC book. Fun routine!

Cheers!

There's lots of ways to learn!
 Check Out Our Classroom!

>