Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Ferrenheit in the House!!

Hey all!! Ferrenheit, A.K.A. Jeff, A.K.A. Penguin here.

I used to do a lot of magic back in the day while working at U.A.B. Hospital in Birmingham, Al. Most of my work was volunteering as a magician in the children's section of the CV Surgery ward. I used to bring smiles to kids' faces who were waiting anxiously for open heart surgery, or waiting on a transplant, or post-op. This led to performing at local schools and libraries.

Because of strokes and heart attacks, I have limited use of my left hand; thus limiting me to doing some card tricks, mostly packet tricks with very little ability to do sleight of hand. But I do what I can. I have learned the Elmsley count and the Jorden count and consider myself well-versed in those types of tricks.

So if I cannot do Sleight of hand, what am I doing here, you ask??
Well, I am a firm believer in the fact that you can enhance the magic you do know, by watching the magic that you cannot do. If nothing else, you learn how to perform and patter better.

So anyway, I am glad to be here and very proud of Doug and all of the hard work he has done with his magic and this site. WELL DONE SIR!!!

Doug Conn, Nicholas and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
Doug ConnNicholasCharles LukenTim AskinMike LongMarty Jacobs

i just injured my hand and will be having to use it a lot less for a while.  I'll bet you can find all sorta magic for one hand.  do you still have good use of the other?

do you mind if people recommend card tricks for one hand?

my hands hurt pretty bad and i wonder what sort of things ill be able to do someday.   will i still be able to make magic?

There are plenty of tricks that can be performed with one or no hands. The well-respected English TV magician Wayne Dobson published a slim booklet many years ago called Look No Hands! which is still available as a PDF ebook. I bought this when it was only available at his lectures. I highly recommend it.

There was also a DVD produced by RSVP Magic of the same name:

Wayne is living with Multiple Sclerosis (MS). He was diagnosed in 1988 and always knew it would eventually restrict his ability to perform magic and comedy. Due to the progression of the disease, he's been unable to use his hands for a while now. I saw him perform some of these tricks at the Blackpool Magic Convention years ago while he was in a wheelchair. He's an amazing and inspirational performer.

Yours Magically,

Marty

P.S. "Out of My Hands", the first trick in the booklet, is a killer version of Paul Curry's "Out of This World". There's no packet switch and you never touch the cards! I'm surprised that more magicians are not performing this version of what is, arguably, one of the best card tricks ever invented.

Tim Askin has reacted to this post.
Tim Askin
Quote from Sid Maley on July 7, 2024, 9:22 pm

i just injured my hand and will be having to use it a lot less for a while.  I'll bet you can find all sorta magic for one hand.  do you still have good use of the other?

do you mind if people recommend card tricks for one hand?

my hands hurt pretty bad and i wonder what sort of things ill be able to do someday.   will i still be able to make magic?

Rene Lavand would be the first place I'd look for inspiration. He's got books and videos. The Luis DeMatos project is probably the best resource to learn his work. Look for the "Maestro" dvd set.

Macdonald's aces was invented by a one armed magician and I think Frank Garcia published that handling in Stars of Magic (the reboot)

So there's a couple suggestions for ya. I hope your healing process is as swift as can be.

Just a side note, this would be a great question for the "Card Magic" section of the forum :)

Marty Jacobs has reacted to this post.
Marty Jacobs

How could I forget René Lavand! I remember seeing him on Stuff the White Rabbit, a late night magic show on Channel 4 in the UK. His sleight of hand blew me away. Here's the episode:

And here's another exquisite performance from The Paul Daniel's Magic Show (1987) in which he performs a couple of his signature routines ("The Greek" and his sublime rentition of Oil and Water, "It Can't Be Done Any Slower"):

Marty

P.S. If your hand is still hurting, I'd encourage you not to overdo it. Give your body the time it needs to heal. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

There's lots of ways to learn!
 Check Out Our Classroom!

>