Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Practice Area Setup and MakingnVideos of Practice

Hello All:

I personally have a horrible setup now for practice and making videos of my practice, but plan to set up a better area soon (space permitting).

I had my wife purchase me this for Christmas, but still need to find a good place to set up my workshop to really try it out.

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-accessories/3-way-mirror/

Right now, I do limited practice in front of my computer and bathroom mirror. Not great places, so I'd like to hear about your setups.

Also, I would be interested in how you all stay focused and motivated during practice time.

Thanks,

Dave

Doug Conn, Tim Askin and Marty Jacobs have reacted to this post.
Doug ConnTim AskinMarty Jacobs

Mirror practice is great (I use a close up and a standup mirror)but I think the better path you're on is video: specifically, I'd encourage reviewing recorded footage of dress rehearsals

I also like to go on tiktok live and rehearse... (as I can see myself in the phone and on LIVE I'm under pressure to produce some quality entertainment.... I consider it a form of dress rehearsal and use it for such on a regular basis... not for everyone but works for me.)

I'm a big fan of REHEARSING ROUTINES and not just practicing moves

Staying focused:
When I'm practicing moves, I usually put on jazz music or maybe some lo-fi (or maybe heavy metal... kinda depends ;)
When I'm practicing routines, It's quite and I'm going over the patter
both sessions are likely driven by a caffeine fueled brain :)

Marty Jacobs and strangemagic have reacted to this post.
Marty Jacobsstrangemagic

My setup changed recently from a small pantry space to the dining room. The added distraction is a minus but more room to work is a plus. I freestyle practice with a small folding table while sitting with the family and then do recorded practice session through OBS. (Sometimes I click broadcast for funsies and practice LIVE on YouTube). Finally once I can perform the it top to bottom, I add some of my  own flavor to it and go out to perform it in the wild to see how it feels. Then I bring it back to troubleshoot.

As a bonus short story, I was performing sympathetic cards today and the cards were not very sympathetic towards me so I just played it off as if that was the bit since there are some jokers involved and the flash didn't ruin the ending since what they keep seeing only reenforced the plot. Not ideal for a clean performance but it worked.

Tim Askin, Marty Jacobs and strangemagic have reacted to this post.
Tim AskinMarty Jacobsstrangemagic

There's lots of ways to learn!
 Check Out Our Classroom!

>