Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Super Dry Hands

I can palm coins, but at times (especially in the evenings) my hands are super dry and it gets difficult. I use fake Asian coins, so they look nice, but the edges aren't milled. That makes things even worse. I'm wondering if there is something I can find locally (i.e. not mail order) that will help my grip. I don't think a lotion would do since that could make things slippery. Any ideas? TIA

At a lecture in Orlando, Jafo recommended this stuff ( https://www.amazon.com/Grip-Hand-Grip-Spray-Supercharge/dp/B085WXKGHN/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=36K1LOAO2H1RX&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.4yuXIvx6fENagWCt0bqtDQxfBddftOPiPcMG_8yCQ6J7aP9G5crS0WoMLOuPKMN2d6Cn2ZnKBwgYJiQPVvPJ9V6H4HOiOl8zN3aGNYKn7NoBJEx6s2dLyp2C0SbDYA7w4SSrUdX0RzyzB21WpBGujoOgikWHuEnUMY6DnyzIeFSo5bAmo4sXojNVROpWfyFksOBGUuJQCyQsTeAYV2PmreB-Fhsq3VcqpjWmIn6c8JUAnAjgeF3aWuJoICM_rUYFciLb0B1NeX9aZj8KgEhVmCG2hf2C7x6fP1_idspaZkc.iqhy2lqZjtedVsbY40-dY44pryQWInwQxZwPwEXb4po&dib_tag=se&keywords=grip+it+hand+grip+spray&qid=1720359561&sprefix=grip+it+%2Caps%2C109&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1 ) if you have "grip" issues. It is used by pole dancers. I found it to be a bit too much for me, but it might be worth a try.

Hi Robert,

I naturally have dry hands, so I use O'Keefe's Working Hands and Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Concentrated Unscented Hand Cream, both of which have a high glycerin content and work really well for me.

Other recommended products include Chamberlain's Golden Touch (now rebranded as After Bath Splash), which was a favourite of Marlo's, Sort Kwik, and Twinlab Na-PCA. Some magicians have mentioned rubbing a ball of Silly Putty in their hands helps to make them tackier.

It's also worth trying products designed for rock climbers and musicians. Climbers use liquid chalk to help with grip on the rockface or climbing wall, and John Carney, a master of sleight-of-hand conjuring, recommends the Mammut Chalk brand. Likewise, drummers and guitarists use products like Gorilla Snot and Pick Honey, which contain rosin, a pine tree sap that helps with stickiness.

This excellent article by Doug Dyment is required reading on the topic of dry hands:

On Resolving the “Dry Hands” Problem

I hope these suggestions are helpful to you.

Marty

Doug Conn and Robert Vallin have reacted to this post.
Doug ConnRobert Vallin

I second the motion for O'Keefe's working mans. That's the stuff I keep in my case.

Coins without milling are a challenge

Cellini used to mill his own when they didn't have it :)

Marty Jacobs has reacted to this post.
Marty Jacobs

On O'Keefe's (which actually enables me to handle coins and cards), I tried the generic version to save a little money but it didn't have the same feel. The generic felt just a bit greasy to me.

Thanks everyone. I found a bottle of Chamberlain's which I'd brought from a lecturer at a Ring meeting years ago and thought I'd lost. It's helping. I will keep all the products in mind.

Marty Jacobs has reacted to this post.
Marty Jacobs

There's lots of ways to learn!
 Check Out Our Classroom!

>