Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Your three favorite books ?

Let's get this space rolling with some recommendations

On behalf of EVERYONE I"m gonna list:

Tarbell
Mark Wilson Course
Books of Wonder
(& if these aren't near the top of your list, I think they should be!)

My personal faves beyond that are:
Books of Wonder Art of Astonishment Mead/Harris
Collected Works of Alex Elmsley (Minch)
Totally Out of Control (Kenner)

Would LOVE to see hear what YOUR besties are & maybe we can all grow a lil

Tim Askin and Mike Long have reacted to this post.
Tim AskinMike Long

Modern Magic by Professor Hoffman
Modern Coin Magic by J.B. Bobo
Eddie Joseph on Cups and Balls

Doug Conn, Nicholas and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
Doug ConnNicholasTim AskinMike Long

Neato, some of my favorites are already listed like; AoA, Books of Wonder, and Mark Wilson’s. Here is few more of my favorites to add to the list;

Coins and Other Fables by Luis Piedrahita

Game Changer by Jason Ladanye

The Amazing Miracles of Shigeo Takagi by Kaufman

Doug Conn and Tim Askin have reacted to this post.
Doug ConnTim Askin

My favorites are:

To Lure With Spectacle -Jimmy Talksalot (most influential)

Modern Coin Magic -J.B. Bobo (my backbone)

Stars of Magic

If I could have my hands on Cellini:The Royal Touch for more than a couple hours, it would probably rank top 3

Doug Conn, Nicholas and Tim Askin have reacted to this post.
Doug ConnNicholasTim Askin

I'm new so the list of books that I've read is pretty short. Out of my top 3 my favorite is

Sleights of Mind: What the Neuroscience of Magic Reveals about Our Everyday Deceptions by Stephen Macknik, Susana Martinez-Conde and Sandra Blakeslee. This was more of a theory book explaining why and how magic works on spectators. In addition to learning why magic works, I also liked that I learned about different performers and different types of magic which sent me down quite the rabbit hole to learn more about the different magicians mentioned.

In a similar vein to Sleights of Mind, I also like How Magicians Think by Joshua Jay.

And to finish the trio, AMORALMAN: A True Story and Other Lies by Derek DelGaudio. There are some pretty significant differences and I might be way off but AMORALMAN reminded me a bit of The Magician and the Cardsharp: The Search for America's Greatest Sleight-of-Hand Artist by Karl Johnson.

I was able to borrow all three of these books from the public library.

I do have a few books of tricks. I'm currently working through The Royal Road to Card Magic which I'm having a lot of fun with but, so far, I'll say the other 3 have really captured my imagination and inspired me to keep going deeper into this craft.

I like that some of the books mentioned so far are either already in my collection or on my list to read, makes me feel I'm at least somewhat headed in the right direction. And of course I'll look into the other books listed that I'm not yet familiar with.

Tim Askin, Mike Long and Josh Logan have reacted to this post.
Tim AskinMike LongJosh Logan

Lots of great books already listed. Some of the books I continually refer back to are:

Kaufmans the Complete Almanac

Kaufman/Roth Expert Coin Technique

And Harry Lorayne's Close up Card Magic

There's lots of ways to learn!
 Check Out Our Classroom!

>