Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Hello from East Texas

I'm Robert. Magic-wise I am a hobbyist whose been studying on my own for about 10 years. I am active in my local IBM Ring which is the Cajun Conjurers in Lake Charles, Louisiana. Outside of magic, I am a professor at it was an interest in mathematical card magic, that I could bring to students, which got me into this art. I am mostly a card person, although I am really interested in getting skilled with my Okito Box.

Doug Conn, Nicholas and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
Doug ConnNicholasTim AskinMike LongMarty Jacobs

i really love the math trick "9 card spell".   it blows my mind that every card could spell to the same card.  do you know this one.

can you recommend any math tricks good for someone with a poor memory?

Uploaded files:

Hi Robert,

It's good to meet you. I work with lots of professors; they're a difficult bunch to perform for because of their heighened critical thinking skills! I also have an interest in mathermatcal magic and Okito Box work.

Sid, I've created quite a few variations of Jim Steinmeyer's "The Nine Card Problem". Over the past few years, I've published ten variations to my blog. Links to these secret pages can be found in a past issue of the Ruseletter, see Monthly Update #12. Ironically, one of my favourite versions is called "Hello, My Name Is...". I developed it as an icebreaker when meeting new people!

You might also enjoy this article on the trick:

Tricks, Tricks and More Tricks: I Got 9 Card Problems, But a Trick Ain't One!

Yours Magically,

Marty

Doug Conn and Chris Leyden have reacted to this post.
Doug ConnChris Leyden

I agree with Marty on Jim Steinmeyer's Nine Card Trick. There is also the Gilbreath Principle, which is definitely mathematical, but doesn't look it. The original trick was called Magnetic Colors, first published in 1959. I know that Vanishing, Inc has a lecture on lots of tricks using Gilbreath. You can also find it mentioned in blog posts by Colm Mulcahy (retired math professor, Emory Univ.) and Matt Baker (professor at GA Tech).

IF you're interested in the math, too, there is a book by Colm with the math behind card tricks, and a book on math and magic by Persi Diaconis and Ron Graham. Here is a link to the Gilbreath Chapter from their book: https://assets.press.princeton.edu/chapters/s5_9510.pdf

Chris Leyden has reacted to this post.
Chris Leyden

There's lots of ways to learn!
 Check Out Our Classroom!

>